Monday, April 25, 2005

Regroup

I have a bit of sorting out to do with my priorities. The book projects are really stalling at the moment and I have perhaps lost my way or at least momentum.

I am struggling with the cat story, It is partly finding quality time and partly getting going. I want to carry on with my saga, I even burn for it. I get so swept up in the drama as it plays through my head . However, I can see the idea of taking a break and will stick to writing something else to stop me getting stale.

I am waiting for the response from the WBC. If they tell me the saga is unmarketable, I should just walk away, but I still think that it has a future, perhaps in the Regional market. why not? Nobody has ever thought about Cardiganshire lead miners and their culture before from what I can see. It has potential in Welsh fiction, old mining areas in the country and exiles abroad.

The agent sent me a personalised response, which was I believe quite a success. Agents are busy people and don't have time to indulge, so why can't i think of it as a positive? She said that the writing was good and had some excellent ideas in the storyline, so why do I feel deflated?

Probably because the criticism highlighted two areas that could mean a reassessment of something that has taken two years to date. I feel a bit world weary!
She highlighted that the story was more telling than showing and did not feel it brought the reader to feel part of it. I must admit that the first two chapters are heavier on description than dialogue, and as these are what hooks you in (and what she read), I may have to rewrite.
The second thing was that she had problems with a first person male narration. She did not feel that the female protagonists were strong. I thought they were - perhaps they are later on in the book. I must check that.

The one problem is that the saga/history market is deemed predominantly a female audience and novels are looked as having a female lead by the publishing houses. This is what agents are looking for, it sells. I know that male narration has succeeded before - 'How Green was my valley' and Alexander Cordell are classic examples of the past. I also know that male leads have succeeded- 'Poldark' and some of Julian Rathbone's novels also testify. So, the quest is to find someone who aagrees with me - maybe I should tweak the story and send it out again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free 
hit counter free web counter Software and Free Game Downloads