Thursday, June 29, 2006

Dreams

Well, carrying on and the way baby slept last night, I'm glad I actually have work to go to. And as I always say, the money does come handy with all them bills...

Have progressed my short story on and the hero has reached his showdown. In Hereford, i would add - because the last sentence sounds like the wild west. It's difficult to concentrate sometimes, as baby crying does interrupt, as does everyone's desire to watch TV. Once I'm past that, I can switch off and I'm back there - 1917, stuck on a train in Mid Wales, searching for answers. It's cold and miserable, but not half as bad as being in Flanders.

When the baby settles, I need to revisit my last book and give it a continuity read. It was a wonderful journey, as wonderful as Victorian lead mines allow. A lot of input from the characters along the way and a few new faces popped in to say hello. But does it scan? Remember, you tend to have an outline of the plot, but as each chapter is produced, you can hardly read from the start to check that it flows every time! It was fun and set me up for the final part of the trilogy, which I look forward to living through.

Book 1 is still out there, hopefully on a few editor's desks, not to be pulped. I occasionally think of scenes in it and get a warm feeling, I liked how it turned out. Will it be received the same by others? Will another editor say 'we want to publish this' and actually be true to their word? Who knows.

One thing I know now, it won't pay the rent. I reckon it would take a few novels published to get any return and even then you won't live off it. To get the big money, you need a break - to be picked up as a Tv drama for example. Perhaps if I had included a teenage wizard. Perhaps if I had managed to align the protagonist to the bloodline of Jesus Christ and then be unsuccessfully sued by someone claiming to have thought up the half-baked theory in the first place, thus maxing book sales and spawning a movie. Damn, that's already been done!

Somehow Tom Hanks wouldn't work in Victorian Ceredigion. Something to do with the accent...

Onwards and upwards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free 
hit counter free web counter Software and Free Game Downloads